söndag 28 december 2008

Ubuntu Studio 8.10 problems

I have borrowed an Edirol FA-66 audio interface from a friend. The challenge now is to set up a working system with my newly purchased Sony laptop. My current OS is Ubuntu Studio 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) - but, sadly, this has to change.

There are, as I have learned, a couple of serious issues with Ubuntu 8.10 making it quite hard to set up a working environment with a real time kernel and a firewire interface:

  • The real time kernel no longer works with dual core processors - apparently, this can be fixed by downgrading to an older kernel. No luck for me yet, though.

  • libfreebob, the firewire driver, drops packets and generates Xruns.

  • From what I've read on forums, running 8.04 (Hardy Heron) is a better option, so first thing in the morning I'll install that instead.

    Losing real time capabilities is quite a blow to the appeal of Ubuntu Studio. Hopefully, with Ubuntu 9.04, both of these issues will be resolved. But until April, I'll go with Hardy.

    Inga kommentarer:

    Skicka en kommentar