lördag 7 februari 2009

Full upgrade with Khashayar's PPA

I've finally learned that PPA means "Personal Package Archive". Khashayar has pointed me to his archive: https://launchpad.net/~khashayar/+archive/ppa where he has built a bunch of packages for more recent versions of alsa, jack, libffado, ardour etc. than those in the official Hardy repository. I figured I don't have much to lose so I followed the steps and did a full upgrade.

Everything seems to be working fine. When I switch between applications, the playback stutters a bit, but let's not jump to conclusions... Playback, recording and editing in Ardour works fine. I love the development build of Hydrogen so far (with an improved GUI and where you can mix the sounds from different drum kits into a custom kit). Even the latency problems when monitoring seem to be gone.

Maybe now I can start thinking more about music than about packages and settings. THANKS a lot, Khashayar!

Here's what I recorded in January - it's a little test piece with some drums from Hydrogen and three guitar tracks. Not really ear candy perhaps, but this is the kind of stuff I do. Sometimes.
Download as MP3
Download as OGG

Here's something I recorded just now. Same instruments, a bit of aimless noodling. Just a test.
Download as MP3
Download as OGG

3 kommentarer:

  1. Wow, that last one is impressive. OK, not fully produced; but I can't say anything on the quality.

    You've got one elguitar connected to your computer? Do you apply the effects afterwards, or in hardware before it hits Ardour?

    You use Edirol FA-66, I see. What else. How is your setup? You should put up more pictures. :-)

    SvaraRadera
  2. Den här kommentaren har tagits bort av skribenten.

    SvaraRadera
  3. Velmont: Thanks! :)

    I've an electric guitar plugged into a Boss ME-50 multi-effect unit, which in turn is connected to the FA-66.

    Ah, pictures. Not a bad idea!

    SvaraRadera