söndag 25 januari 2009

More problems: FFADO and jackd

I'm trying to make the new firewire audio drivers working (ffado instead of freebob, which was the old driver) on Hardy. At first I though I'd be compiling ffado and re-compiling jackd from source, but instead I found that there are .deb packages here! (Before finding these, I checked the dependencies using Synaptic.)

After installing the packages, I fired up qjackctl and chose the driver called "firewire" instead of "freebob" in the setup window. It gave me a familiar error at first, the cause and remedy of which I have already described - only this time it was a more human redable edition.


03646216877: [31mError (ieee1394service.cpp)[ 163] detectNbPorts: Could not get libraw1394 handle.
This usually means:
a) The device-node /dev/raw1394 doesn't exists because you don't have a
(recognized) firewire controller.
b) The modules needed aren't loaded. This is not in the scope of ffado but of
your distribution, so if you have a firewire controller that should be
supported and the modules aren't loaded, file a bug with your distributions
bug tracker.
c) You don't have permissions to access /dev/raw1394. 'ls -l /dev/raw1394'
shows the device-node with its permissions, make sure you belong to the
right group and the group is allowed to access the device.
[0mfirewire ERR: Error creating FFADO streaming device


Progress! So after modprobe raw1394 and chmod a+rw /dev/raw1394, I tried again.

(A more permanent solution to the permissions part might be opening /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules and finding the line saying KERNEL=="raw1394", GROUP="XXXX"
where XXXX is the name of the group with permissions to write to raw1394. In the console, do adduser USERNAME XXXX to add your non-root user to this group.)

When I tried again, I got another error, this time without any explanation. I eventually realized I had forgot to plug in my audio interface. Clever! With this done, jack seemed to start, only to stop again, with the following cheerful message:


(...)
libiec61883 warning: iec61883_cmp_create_p2p_output: Failed to set the oPCR[0] plug for node 1.
libiec61883 warning: iec61883_cmp_create_p2p_input: Failed to set the iPCR[0] plug for node 1.
firewire ERR: Could not start streaming threads: -1
DRIVER NT: could not start driver
cannot start driver
starting server engine shutdown
stopping driver


I got a similar problem trying to use the freebob driver.

This will do for now, I need to get some sleep. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

2 kommentarer:

  1. Yesterday, I've managed to get sound out of my Echo AudioFire2, using JACK and FFADO from Khashayar's PPA.

    Also, FFADO didn't work well, until I've uploaded a newer firmware with an included firmware upload tool. A newer firmware version is an FFADO requirement for the AudioFires, maybe it is required for your card as well?

    SvaraRadera
  2. Thanks for the tip, artfwo. I didn't need a firmware upgrade, Khashayar's PPA did the trick though :)

    SvaraRadera