lördag 17 januari 2009

Miscellaneous stupid problems

These issues are not related to music making, but to general settings on my laptop (a Sony Vaio VGN-SR29VN).

1. Keyboard layout messed up after having used a USB keyboard
When having used a USB keyboard, the automatic num lock setting (in both Ubuntu and the abominable Vista) is ON. Not being aware of this + not being used to a keyboard without a number pad = frustration. Lucky that the solution was so easy - Ctrl+NumLk to switch off num lock.

2. Keymap misbehaving with USB keyboard
After booting up Ubuntu Hardy with an external keyboard, I can't use accents (like é, which is a character in my name, so it's quite important to me). Typing "setxkbmap se" in the console does the trick. But I was already using the Swedish keymap! Maybe this is not a problem in Intrepid, I haven't checked yet.

3. Wireless networking with the Intel WiFi Link 5100 - in Hardy and in Intrepid
I had almost forgot that I had yet to configure the wireless network interface. In my computer, the interface is an Intel WiFi Link 5100, which, as I've learned after googling around, can be used with the iwl3945 kernel module. For those new to fiddling around with kernel modules, I can definitely recommend modconf, the module manager with graphical menus.

Apparently, the iwl3945 module comes with Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid), but not with 8.04 (Hardy). So when I want to record music (with the realtime capable kernel) I have to use Hardy, but if I want to be able to use dual screens or my wireless connection I need to use Intrepid if I don't want to hack around too much. Hardly ideal, but hey, at least everything works decently somewhere...

Speaking of wireless connections, I've found that wicd is better than network-manager for managing connections. For instructions on how to install it in Ubuntu, read this! (you'll need to scroll down a little bit.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Speaking about the keyboard, this is not a problem (at least for me) in Intrepid indeed... All the layout settings are in console-setup ("dpkg-reconfigure console-setup" to change them) and all the X stuff is managed with something called evdev, so there's no need to configure anything in X any longer.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Yeah, I've noticed that the settings are no longer in xorg.conf but I haven't figured out where they are instead. Thanks for making it clearer!

    SvaraRadera