lördag 17 januari 2009

Using firewire audio: raw1394 permissions with jackd

When firing up the Jack Audio Connection Kit (a necessary thing, connecting the audio interface and the software I want to use with each other) using qjackctl, at first I usually get an error (this is in Ubuntu 8.04 - Hardy - with the rt kernel). Sadly, I never copied the error message, but I will reproduce it and paste it here later to give the whole picture.

The error either has to do with a necessary driver (the kernel module raw1394) not being loaded, or with user permissions for the firewire bus, as the non-root user has to get write access. These two issues are easily solved thus:

modprobe raw1394
chmod a+rw /dev/raw1394

The first line loads the kernel module, the second line changes the permissions to the raw1394 device to a+rw (access+read/write, if I am not mistaken). I have tried to make the latter change permanent by making my non-root user the owner of the file with chown [USERNAME] /dev/raw1394, but with no succcess.

Now the jack daemon should have no problems starting.

2 kommentarer:

  1. My comments here are gonna be scarce these days due to the film festival (hey! you should be out watching films as well!)

    Permission problems: Fire up ubuntustudio controls and clickety-fix the permission issue :-)

    SvaraRadera
  2. Yes, I sure should. And I probably will.

    Oh, I hadn't thought of that. Thans!

    SvaraRadera