lördag 26 december 2009

Intermission: screen resolution

My laptop has a 13", 1280x800 screen. My main screen at home is a Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA, 22" and 1680x1050. I don't much like to work with dual screens as I always end up clicking outside the screen I'm supposed to be in, windows keep opening in the wrong screen etc. so I just shut of the laptop screen.

Anyway, after the "reform" where xorg.conf was deemed to be user-unfriendly, it is actually harder to manually add a screen resolution. In Gnome's "Display preferences" window, 1680x1050 was not on the list of possible resolutions. After some googling I found this helpful post about how to add a screen resolution manually with xrandr. After step 3, however, I just used the "Display preferences" dialog to choose the newly added resolution, which makes the rest of the steps unnecessary.

The "Display preferences" is apparently a GUI for xrandr. I hope that in the future, it will be able to add modes as well.

By the way, for those who celebrate: merry christmas!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar